Lori Langille studied Fine Arts at the University of Ottawa before going on to the Ontario College of Art and Design (OCAD U) in Toronto to study painting and illustration, graduating from the Communications and Design programme with a concentration in editorial illustration. Since then she has worked on a freelance basis for a wide range of private and public sector clients, including The Globe and Mail, Fast Company, Homemakers Magazine, The National Post, Texas Monthly, Bell Canada and Profit Magazine among others. She also created the logo for Mildred's Temple Kitchen in Toronto, and in 2013 designed a 13 foot high wall mural for the main entrance, too.
Founded in 2006, the automatism blog is where Lori shares whatever she finds inspiring, interesting or simply beautiful in interiors, design, art, photography and other creative fields. Recognition for automatism includes:
* In December 2009 the automatism blog was selected by The Times Online as one of the top 50 design blogs in the world.
* In February 2010 Lori was one of seven bloggers profiled in a LoftLife magazine article on the rise of the design blogger.
* In July 2010 the automatism blog was chosen by Côté Maison magazine as one of their 15 favourite international design blogs.
* In March 2011 Blogger chose automatism as one of their Blogs of Note, a distinction awarded to Blogger-powered blogs found interesting and noteworthy.
* In December 2011 Lori was in the Rue Magazine holiday issue, appearing in the Blogger Side by Side feature with fellow blogger Katie Quinn Davies of What Katie Ate, with illustrations by Katie Rodgers.
* In January 2013 automatism was chosen by Blender magazine for its list of Les 10 blogs de design á suivre en 2013 (the 10 Design Blogs to Follow in 2013).
(illustration by lori langille for the globe and mail)